We’re kicking off our “Get to Know the Issue 33 Staff” series with one the staff members who will be here next year, Erika Mann! We asked her 33 hard-hitting questions, and you won’t BELIEVE how she answered them (you probably will, actually, we’re just trying out this click-bait thing):
1. What’s your role in Bricolage?
- Visual Arts Editor
2. You’re on the Ave and suddenly become ravenously hungry. Where do you go to eat?
- Thaiger Room is always a good option.
3. What are you currently binge-watching?
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
4. What’s one of your favorite pieces of prose?
- “The Fall of the House of Usher” by Edgar Allen Poe
5. What’s one of your favorite pieces of poetry?
- Can’t choose, but it’s between “Harlem” by Langston Hughes, “Mad Girl’s Love Song” by Sylvia Plath, “My Papa’s Waltz” by Theodore Roethke, and “One Art” by Elizabeth Bishop
6. What’s one of your favorite pieces of art?
- “Blue Nude II” by Henri Matisse
7. Batman or Superman?
8. You have to model your house after a building on the UW campus. Which one would you pick?
- Architecture Hall…nice columns
9. What’s the best musical act you’ve seen live?
- I saw Ed Sheeran at the Showbox about 2 years ago. He really knows how to connect with his audience!
10. Why did you decide come to the UW?
- I’ve lived in California my entire life, so for college, I wanted to explore some place new and step out of my comfort zone. I chose UW specifically because it just felt like the right school for me.
11. Would you rather skydive or bungee-jump?
12. What’s been your favorite experience with Bricolage?
- I’ve enjoyed working with all of the other staff members, as well as learning more about how a journal is produced. I also like getting to know all the talented artists and writers at UW!
13. What was the last movie you saw in theaters?
- The live-action Cinderella
14. Are you a sports fan and do you follow any teams?
- I’m from the Bay and we’re so loyal to our teams! My favorites are the Golden State Warriors and the Oakland Athletics.
15. Where’s your favorite place to study?
- …my bed
16. Besides Bricolage, what else are you involved in?
- Right now, I’m in between jobs ~sigh~
17. Pick five songs that would be included on the soundtrack of your life.
- 1) “Just Like Heaven” by the Cure 2) “Video” by India.Arie 3) “Starlight” by Muse 4) “Bills Bills Bills” by Destiny’s Child 5) “12:51” by the Strokes
18. Cake, cookies, or brownies?
- Do I have to choose?
19. Do you like scary movies?
20. Have you ever broken a bone? How did it happen?
21. What are you majoring in?
- English Language and Lit with a minor in Art History
22. If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be?
- A tiger because they’re fierce
23. Coffee or tea?
- Coffee in the morning, tea before bed
24. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Neither…I really love sleeping.
25. What have you learned from being a Bricolage staff member?
- I’ve learned better organizational and time management skills. I’ve also learned how to work with other people as part of a team.
26. What’s the first thing you check when you go online?
27. You can travel anywhere for a year without having to worry about money. Where would you go?
- I’d want to travel to Europe and to my homeland, the Philippines.
28. Are you afraid of clowns?
29. What’s your go-to snack food?
- Anything I can eat with peanut butter
30. Favorite class you’ve ever taken at UW?
- I would have to say English 302 because I enjoyed the professor. He was funny and also helpful, especially during office hours. After taking his class, I feel more confident in my writing.
31. Who always makes you laugh?
- My sister and my dad
32. Advice you wish you had received as a freshman?
- Don’t be lazy, take every opportunity that comes your way and don’t be scared of trying new things! If you ever think you’re not good enough, remember you made it here.
33. Plans for after you graduate?
- None at the moment, but if you come up with something let me know.